2013/03/31

Biscuits!

It's not the kind you may think of when a Southerner pulls a mass of flaky golden goodness from the oven.. It's the kind I want you to envision a Northerner pulling from the oven on a cool, Spring Day. It's golden and flaky and puffy from the yeast. It's the kind the Mother tells her daughter about while the daughter of the daughter is in labor with her 3rd child. It's the kind of recipe that gets handwritten in the laboring daughters cherished family cookbook. She comes home from the hospital, heals up and when granted energy from God once again.. She opens her cookbook and there it is! Written by her mother; passed down from her Grandmother. A treasure.

Biscuits
From the kitchen of Nanny
Written on March 9, 2001 by my precious mother while she was caring for a 4 year old Colby and 2 year old Jackie. I was in labor. Jake was eating a whopper.

Proof Yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp. sugar
2 pkgs yeast or 4.5 tsp

In Mixer
1 and 1/2 cups lukewarm buttermilk. (do no overheat-it will separate)
1/4 cup oil
Add the yeast mixture from above
4 and 1/2 cups of flour- Level Measures
3 TBSP Sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Mix and let set for 10 minutes

Roll to 1 inch thickness then cut into biscuits, put on a tin. Brush tops with shortening and let rise for about 20 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until they're golden brown.

Serve up with honey butter.


5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I really look forward to trying this out, thanks!!

Karen said...

Yummy .. sounds good!

Andrea said...

These sound amazing! And I love a recipe with a story. ;)

Christina said...

I made these tonight, friend, and I can see them becoming a staple around here. Let's just say we had some people who were very glad I doubled the recipe! Thanks for sharing.

CLR said...

I'm so happy you enjoyed them! I miss your sweet family. Love to you all.