2008/06/28

Summertime, Summertime, Sum,Sum,Summertime!

With the hot sun and fierce afternoon thunderstorms comes the feeling that Summer is in swing.  We have been plodding along with baseball.  Colby was selected to the All Star Team, so we are not done quite yet.  Ben did finish and we celebrated by going to the beach.  We all came back with nasty sun burns for proof.  We wore our sunscreen, but it wasn't a good bottle for water activities.  Our skin is peeling from that and we're ready for more.  I came down with a nasty mastitis.  If you don't know what that is, ask any mother who has ever nursed her child.  I thought that the end of my life was near as the pain was so intense, and the fever so persistent.  Praise the Lord a round of antibiotics cleared it up.  Just when I was feeling better a wild blackberry bush was calling my name in the thicket out behind the house.  I had been watching the berries plump up for some time and was eager to make some muffins.  However, I misunderstood the call as it was really a family of chiggers screeching my name to attack me in my weakest places and now you will find this mother in the cool of the house scratching away at those insidious bites that have created quite the nasty bumps.  I am nearly all better from that and am feeling the need to blog again.  To tell you the truth, I just didn't want to tell about what's been going on with me, as I've been feeling very humbled by my state of discomforts.  Jake is working so hard and when we see him he is so pleased to be with us that you'd never know the struggles he's dealing with at work.  My heart loves him in such greater ways each day, that I didn't think it possible to be so enamored of someone ever.  I hope you all are enjoying the summer and I will blog again soon.   Oh yes, one cute story before I forget.  When I was sick with the mastitis, I was laying on the hammock out back trying to rid my body of the chills.  Louisa came out to lay down with me.  She was laying beside me and proclaimed how we were both so sick.  I asked her what was wrong and she said that her belly is getting so very big and that she was going to be having a baby soon.  I told her that was impossible and she probably ate too much lunch.   She is so cute and makes me laugh even when I feel my worst.

3 comments:

Claire Higgins said...

Oh poor Christie, I hope you find relief soon. What a sweet, innocent story of Louisa, too!

john.reynolds1@mac.com said...

Wow what a week!

Karen said...

glad you are on the road to recovery. Feelings of helplessness with so miles between us ... I long to care for you when you hurt and need your mothers help and love. I am thankful for antibiotics, calamine lotion, and sweet children to love on. Life is good and God is better!