2008/07/03

Another Reason I love being an Adult

There are numerous reasons being an adult is such a blast.  One of my favorites is the appreciation of certain foods.  As a child I was never very fond of nuts, coconut, dried fruit, etc.   For some strange reason, be it adulthood or my aging body needs nutrients aside from what a bag of cheetos and coca cola can give you,  I thoroughly enjoy many things now that I never did as a youngster.  With that comes  a recipe.  This is from my mom.  Poor mom, each time she comes to town she forced into submitting all of her newest recipes to the Reynolds Cook Library.  A majority of my favorite things to eat come from a list of about 5 people, mom being one of them.  

With that, here it is:  High Octane Cookies

1 cup flour
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup golden raisins/cranberries/cherries... whatever you have on hand
1/2 cup chocolate chips
6 T butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
1 very ripe b-nana (Lou)
3/4 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325
Use a baking stone or silpat on a cookie sheet, or just grease your pans
Stir together flour, coconut, oats, baking soda, and salt with fork.  Add dried fruit, pecans, and chocolate chips and mix well.  In another bowl, beat butter with brown sugar until fluffy.  Add egg, banana, and vanilla, beat til smooth.  Poor over dry ingredients and combine until just mixed.

Using a 1/4 measuring cup scoop dough on pan a few inches apart.  Bake for about 18 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool on racks.  Store in air tight container until they are all gone.  

These are great for breakfast and pick me up snacks, or nursing mothers, or the hard working men in our life who don't have time to slow down...

2 comments:

Karen said...

I am glad you like these cookies ... I wasn't sure if I was forcing them on you. I'll bet you have made them even better with your touch of love added to the recipe.

Christy said...

Thanks for sharing! They sound yummy.
I miss you friend. I hope you guys are having a good week! I'm really looking forward to Sat. morning!