2008/03/25

Caution: Pop-Up Barriers Ahead

Today Ben had the priviledge of sitting up front with me in the Suburban.  This is usually a source of contention among the children and typically Colby wins the right hands down, because he's the only one who doesn't require a booster seat.  We dropped Colby off for baseball practice and headed to the base to buy gas.  A couple years ago the back gate entrance has had some changes and the military has added some in the ground barriers.  The idea behind this is that if someone were to storm the gate the bollards would instantly pop up trapping any would be attacker.  For several, several months we've driven over the barriers and passed the sign giving warning about them.  Today was a different day, because like I said Ben was in the front seat with me.  After we were waved through the back gate, Ben says to me, "huuuuuh(his voice is escalating in tone) mom, we need to look out today." I ask him why that is so. "Because the sign says that there will be pop-up Bears ahead."  I ask him what he is talking about, mind you I know what he has just read and am maintaining self control from pulling the car over so I can laugh to my hearts content.  He then says,"they must be bears that lay down really low on the ground and then they jump up and scare the people."  I had to tell him what the sign really said lest he start telling people at church that the base has pop up bears.  He may be on to something though.  I am thinking the idea of pop up bears is much scarier than a pop up barrier.  How about you?

6 comments:

Claire Higgins said...

I just read that out loud to Clint and he blurted out in laughter! That's what we call fun-ny. I think that bears would be much more effective too, Ben. hehe

john.reynolds1@mac.com said...

Way to go Grandson! Grandpa would have been looking for pop bears too.

john.reynolds1@mac.com said...

Lions, and tigers and bears, oh my! I'd worry too, Ben.
Love, Grandma

Jesse said...

I passed this story around to half the folks I work with. General hilarity ensued.

pops said...

Give Ben his bow and arrow and have him reconnoiter out ahead of the Suburban, I bet those "bears" wouldn't dare pop up then.

Karen said...

thanks for sharing this story. He is soooo innocent