2008/03/18

Red Velvet Cake

Before I divulge the recipe I must express my gratitude to Myia Carreiro's mother. Thank you Mrs. Allen for sharing this recipe with me. It was my privilege to be at Graysie and Mick's party and enjoy a bite. The thought of this cake lingered with me for many days and I knew it would have to be made as part of my husbands return feast. The frosting in particular, referred to as Graysie as, "Magic frosting" is especially smooth and easy on the taste buds. Again thank you.

This cake should be stored in the Refrigerator!!
Cream together in a large bowl
1/2 cup Crisco
1 1/2 cups sugar
Add:
2 eggs and beat it good
Sift together the following, 3 times:
2 cups flour
1 TBSP Cocoa
1/2 tsp salt

In another bowl:
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 bottles red food coloring
Alternately add the dry sifted ingredients and the milk/food coloring blend to the creamed shortening mix. Once combined Fold in 1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 TBSP Vinegar.
Bake in 2 prepared 9" cake pans
350 degrees for 30-35 minutes

Magic Frosting-Double This

Cook over low heat to pudding stage the following:
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup flour
dash salt
Set aside to cool
Cream Together
1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
Add 1 tsp. vanilla.
Add to the pudding mixture then beat it for several minutes. It should be fluffy and not gritty.



6 comments:

Claire Higgins said...

Hey Christie! Say, one question...where it says "sift together 3x the following" , is that just the flour, cocoa, and salt, or the buttermilk and vanilla too? And 3x, you mean just to triple the measurements you have? Sorry, I have to admit I am not the best cook and always seem to mess something up when I try something...any advice will help! Thanks!

CLR said...

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. Sift only the dry ingredients and don't triple the measurements. Just put it in your little hand sifter 3 different times.

Claire Higgins said...

Oh my goodness! I tried to make the "Magic Frosting" and nothing magic happened. I seriously have the worst curse when it comes to making things like this...ahhhh! So my frosting was all clumpy...mostly from the flour and milk and salt mixture; I couldn't get it blended, so I had to toss it. Golly! Yours looks absolutely perrrfect! I found something at the store that LOOKS like your frosting...not sure if it tastes like it, but I will just pretend it does! I'll tell ya, I need cooking classes STAT. :)

CLR said...

oh Claire, I am so sad your frosting didn't turn out. Perhaps the pudding cooked too long? Bummer!

pops said...

Someone used to make cakes for me that looked just like that one.

CLR said...

I remember those days dad. It's a pleasure now to be able to make them for my own family!!