2008/03/13

For the Love of Spring

It's middle March and all is well. We've been functioning as a complete family unit for about a month now, actually tomorrow will be the full month mark. Jake is working a lot, and he actually flew yesterday. The kids and I are in the grime of school, upcoming sports are lingering in the air, but my favorite thing is the feel of Spring. Yesterday, we had a rather long experience at the auto place. I can affirm that after 4 hours of living inside a cube with 6 delightful children and some very old people, all for the same purpose is an eye opening experience. To say the least, when we were released from the cube and free to take the truck back home that the meaning of spring took on a new effect. The air was lighter, the energy greater. If I were a dog I might just have chased my tail for a good 10 minutes. Haha! I am not a dog, so I took to hoeing the garden until my back hurt, throwing weeds every which way and even caught a glimpse of a bee in the cycle of pollinating a honeysuckle. The grub worms seemed to have multiplied. I threw them out of the garden and the kids competed to see who can gather the most. Ben filled his pocket with them, later they met a sad ending, though I won't give all the details, it did involve a brown paper bag, some prolonged sitting, and a remote control monster truck. Anyway, the delight of my day was Jackie. She had patiently endured the time in the waiting room on her birthday. Once home she donned her colonial maiden dress, on top of this she put on her new apron, followed by some other accessories. She grabbed one of the grub worms from the garden and ran off. I didn't think much about it, as everyone else seemed to be doing the same thing. She comes back to me a few moments later and she had constructed a fishing rod with some stick and string and had tied her grub worm to the end of it. It was the cutest thing, this sweet little girl, all dressed up on her very special day holding a stick with a grub worm hanging. I wished I was holding a camera instead of a hoe.

4 comments:

john.reynolds1@mac.com said...

Christie, thank you for taking the time to write about yesterday's events, heartwarming for grandparents!

Karen said...

I love your stories ... Princess Jackie has such a wonderful spirit. I can see her all dressed up for the prom .. then .. a pole, a worm, and she notices the shoes ... they are for running and having fun. Then she dances with the wind, birds, bees and yes ... grub worms. Life is great!

john.reynolds1@mac.com said...

I can only imagine your cube ordeal. I once sat in the Seattle airport for 12 hours with a sick 4 year old waiting for the next flight to California after flying from Kalispell, MT. Then after our arrival to my parents home in Red Bluff we were privileged to spend the next few hours in the emergency room while Jake suffered a severe tummy ache. Mind you I only had the one, and it wasn't anyone's birthday. Dear Jackie keep up the good work of combining princess with tomboy. It is a great combination! Love, Grandma

JLR said...

Mom-
I remember that trip well. I think I had eaten a number of hot dogs at the Seattle airport, and then we had to fly. Yes, I also remember being taken to the ER in what seemed to be the middle of the night. Well, glad I was able to be the enabling factor in some vivid memories.
Love,
Jake